Livable Homes Frequently Asked Questions

The RI Livable Home Modification Grant program pays for 50% of the cost of safety changes (home modifications) for people with disabilities to stay in their home, up to $4,500.

The Grant Can Be Used for the Following:

The grant can be used in an existing home or apartment 

  • Build path to a no-step entrance. A walkway or ramp from driveway, parking, or sidewalk
  • Build an entrance without any steps
  • Build doorways wide enough for the person's wheelchair, at least 32 inches
  • Make hallways wide enough for the person's wheelchair, at least 36 inches
  • Lower light switches and thermostats and raise plugs
  • Walk-in shower or tub; raised toilet seat and sink; add grab bars
  • Change height of kitchen counters, drawers and shelves
  • Buy low kitchen stove, dishwasher, sink
  • Add handrails and grab bars on hallway walls, stairs, or elsewhere in or outside the home
  • Back-up power for equipment in the home. Emergency power for respirators, oxygen concentrators, and/or dialysis machines
  • Home alert for person with dementia
  • Chair lift, stair lift, ceiling and track lift, or elevator
  • Flashing fire alarms and doorbells for people who are deaf or hard of hearing and of hearing; or
  • Talking stoves and alarms for persons who are blind or have low vision.

No. The program only counts income not money saved during the past year.

No. You are free to pick any licensed contractor.

You will hear back within a week if approved; denied; or is incomplete.

After the work is completed. You send the Claim Form and a copy of all paid bills. Before & After Pictures are also needed. 

If you have any of the following:

• lost an arm or leg, loss of hearing or vision; or memory loss

• limited use of an arm or leg, limited hearing or sight, or solving problems; or  not able to work, be social, or active. Or limits working, being social, or active.

No. The grant will pay 50% of the total safety costs but only up to $4,500. For any projects costing over $8,000, the maximum grant amount that you will receive is still $4,500.

No. You must use a medical professional not connected to your contractor.

Qualified medical professionals must be licensed healthcare professionals, able to determine your healthcare needs and medical eligibility for this grant program. Including physical therapists, occupational therapists, licensed nurse practitioners, physicians, licensed independent clinical social workers, and certified aging-in-place specialists. Not included are certified nursing assistants, physical therapist assistants, certified occupational therapist assistants, non-licensed caseworkers and social workers, and personal care attendants.

Yes, both people will need to include their income tax forms (such as 1040 Individual Income Tax Return, W-2 Wage and Tax Statement, and 1099 tax forms).

Adjusted Gross Income from last year’s federal income tax return 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ if income tax was filed jointly, only put the person who has the disability's income.

b) Subtract any withdrawal from an IRA or Pension for medical needs c) Countable Income is the remainder of a. and b. a) Maximum Income Table:

Check  the number of dependents claimed by the person with a disability on the prior year’s federal income tax return 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ

Only the person who has the disability’s countable income Number of dependents Maximum Income Number of dependents Maximum Income The person (no dependents) $78,700 The person + 4 dependents $121,450 The person + 1 dependent $89,950

The person + 5 dependents $130,450 The person + 2 dependents $101,200 The person + 6 dependents $139,450 The person + 3 dependents $112,450 The person + 7 dependents $148,450 If Countable Income is less than the right column above 3, SKIP to SECTION 4.

Certification If Countable Income is greater than the right column, The person does not qualify for a grant.